The fact that conventional energy sources will soon run short according to many of the calculations, that this type of sources endanger the environment on a large scale in an irreversible way, that the need for conventional energy sources is increasing every day, that they remain incapable of nourishing developing technology, and most importantly, that oil is a scarce and expensive fuel...
All these reasons cause the search for new energy sources today. As a result of this, there is an increase in the diversity of new energy sources. The common aspect of these resources is that they do not bring about adverse effects to the environment in the short and long term. Here we have searched for you, one of those resources nominated by scientists as the most important energy source of the future, ‘biodiesel’, which is derived from vegetable oils…
Raw Material of Biodiesel: Canola Plant
Biodiesel, which has a very important place as it does no damage to the environment and lifts external dependence of national economies, is made from a small plant with a height that does not exceed one meter and with yellow flowers of which width is only 10 to 12 millimeters. This plant grows spontaneously in nature, is named "Canola". Canola plant that has very deep roots is extremely useful for the soil. The fact that one seed of canola contains 38-50% fat, 16-24% protein, is rich in terms of oleic and linoleic acid content and the boiling point of its oil is high (238° C) makes it an important oil plant. Oil obtained from canola is low in cholesterol, so heart-friendly.
In areas with inefficient irrigation facilities canola can be planted after planting wheat. The most important feature is that a purely natural fuel called biodiesel can be manufactured by mixing the plant's leaves used in the production of mustard, waste of animal fats or garbage such as processed waste like food waste. The biodiesel fuel produced completely natural. From 3 tons of canola plants, 1.2 tons of vehicle fuel can be manufactured.
Why is Biodiesel Fuel is Preferred?
Biodiesel energy source launched to the market in 1992 has a great potential in establishing a new sector. The main reasons for this can be listed below:
• Biodiesel can be used directly instead of fuel.
• It has the efficiency of a fuel close to diesel.
• It can be derived from animal and herbal oils.
• Energy agriculture (agriculture of plants used in energy production such as canola, soy) has the potential to result in employment and set up a market.
• It is an environmental fuel as it decreased carbon dioxide level by 78%.
• Biodiesel, which is an alternative fuel to environment-friendly diesel engine, is the cheapest alternative fuel that can be used in diesel engines.
• Since 1987, hazardous substances like lead, sulphur and paraffin are not used in this new fuel, which can be used in diesel engines without being processed, just like diesel vehicles manufactured in European countries and the USA.
The Scale of Air Pollution Caused by Diesel Fuel
According to the results of the research report published by the E.U.; in a study with the same amount of diesel and biodiesel diesel, diesel fuel consumption leads to 3.2 kg of CO2 (carbon dioxide) emissions whereas biodiesel consumption leads to a decrease of 2 - 2.5 kg and the levels reaching 0.7 kg.
Advantages of Biodiesel
* It can be stocked in the stocking conditions of petroleum diesel.
* It can be manufactured in small facilities locally.
* Biodiesel prolongs motor life as it is a better greaser in comparison to petroleum diesel.
* Biodiesel is an easy to carry and stock fuel. In addition, it has a high point of enflaming (149°C). This value is 125°C for petroleum diesel.
* Rate of unburnt hydrocarbon is lower than petroleum diesel by 90% and carcinogenic aromatic hydrocarbons by 75-90%
* It removes dependence on import as production can be completely local.
* By putting importance on canola and soy production, farmers produce the cheap diesel fuel that they need themselves and also economy is supported by increased strength and capacity of production.
Importance of Using Biodiesel for the Environment
Biodiesel is derived from chemical reactions of alcohol with vegetable oil. But the real thing that emphasizes biodiesel is that it can be produced from waste oils and organic waste. This not only reduces costs but also ensures that environmentally harmful substances are re-evaluated. Biodiesel can be used in any diesel engine as pure or after being mixed with gasoline. Experts state that even a mix of 20% biodiesel and 80% diesel would decrease carbon monoxide emissions that cause global warming by 21%, hydrocarbon emissions by 47%.
Biodiesel, as one of the renewable energy sources*, will be more on the agenda as an alternative to diesel fuel in the future as it contributes to the country's economy, to the decrease in the country's external dependence, to prevention of air and environmental pollution, to the protection of the world’s fossil fuels.
Like many blessings, solutions provided to us for energy problems are one of the blessings of Almighty Allah with His superior art of creation.
This plant, which our Almighty Lord with infinite mercy let grow in dry soil in the future, is seen as one of the solutions to the world's energy problems. The uniqueness of Our Lord’s creation is revealed in the Qur’an as follows:
“He Who created the heavens and the earth and sends down water for you from the sky by which We make luxuriant gardens grow – you could never make their trees grow…” (Surat an-Naml, 60)
*What are Renewable Energy Sources?
Renewable energy is defined as the "energy source that is available in exactly the same condition the next day in nature's own cycle" is defined as. Fossil fuels widely used today, are non-renewable energy sources that end when burned. Though natural sources such as hydraulic (water), solar, wind, geothermal, and ocean currents are renewable energy sources as well as clean.