In his Letters, Imam Rabbani states that Hazrat Mahdi (as) will not be coming in his own time. Two important pieces of evidence are provided to support this.
• One is the condition of Hazrat Mahdi (as) appearing at the beginning of the century.
• The second is that this appearance will coincide with the consecutive fulfillment of the portents revealed by our Prophet (saas).
A statement in Imam Rabbani’s 381st Letter:
But this birth IS NOT THAT WHICH WILL APPEAR AT THE COMING OF THE MAHDI. That is because HIS APPEARANCE WILL BE AT THE BEGINNING OF THE CENTURY. EIGHTEEN YEARS HAVE CURRENTLY GONE BY SINCE THE BEGINNING OF THE CENTURY. (Imam Rabbani, Letters of Rabbani, 381th Letter, p. 1184)
• In this extract Imam Rabbani says that Hazrat Mahdi (as) will appear at the beginning of the century (Islamic calendar).
• But in Imam Rabbani’s time, none of the portents indicating the coming of Hazrat Mahdi (as) had taken place, even though 18 years had passed since the start of the century.
This is one of clearest indications that Hazrat Mahdi (as) would not appear at that time. Because when Hazrat Mahdi (as) comes, the portents of the End Times revealed by our Prophet (saas) should have been coming about one after the other since the beginning of the century (Islamic calendar).
• But these portents did not come about either during the first 18 years of the century in which Imam Rabbani was living, not up until the year 1400 (Islamic calendar). With the 1400s, however, these portents began taking place one after the other, like beads falling from a necklace.